Sunday 24 April 2011

Contemplating Life

My birthday was last weekend and once we get into our 30s and beyond I think many of us tend to reflect on our lives when we have a birthday.  Where are we?  Where do we want to go?  Are we happy?  Have we accomplished all that we wish to accomplish?  I know I tend to do this and I like it because it becomes a good inventory of where I am and the direction in which I am heading.

I am now 37 and since I plan on living till I am well past 100, I am only slightly past the 1/3 point in my life.  That means I still have TONS of time to do the things I want to do and see the things I want to see.  The past year or two has been really rough for me financially, but slowly, slowly I am beginning to see the light and things are getting better.  With that increasing sense of security comes an increasing desire to explore life (which is hard to do when you are truly struggling to pay the rent and put food on the table).

What is in my future?  I plan to train as a holistic nutritionist and possibly a personal trainer and/or a yoga instructor.  I want to become very involved in the natural health movement, do research on diet and nutrition as they relate to health and wellness, and write books, attend conferences, speaking engagements, and study, in depth, the ideal diet that humans are designed for, the one we have evolved to eat.

OK, so that's a lot to accomplish, but I've got the time and the passion.  Aside from this I want to get into rock climbing, kayaking, canoing, run marathons, travel the world,buy a house (maybe a farm), possibly open a retreat centre one day, and live to enjoy my great grandchildren :-)  And I am sure I will find many more things to do with my life as time goes on, as I reflect on future birthdays.  For now I will enjoy my children as they grow into amazing young women and I will keep moving forward so that I can accomplish all of my hopes and dreams.

I encourage everyone to take the time to reflect on life, whether on your birthday or another point in life.  It can be so easy to allow ourselves to get caught up in the day-to-day business of living that we forget to slow down and take the time, but when we do this we grow and flourish inside and out.  Take care and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it :-)

Find your passion.  Love your passion.  Live your passion.

1 comment:

  1. Great message on taking the time to reflect. We owe it to ourselves to do this regularly!

    ReplyDelete