Monday 4 April 2011

Passion and Values

I am inspired!  I am inspired by all the incredible women whom I am privileged to call my friends.  I am inspired by the athletes I know.  I am inspired by amazing journeys that I see people undertaking.  I am inspired by my children.  I am taking time these days to determine how I want to live my life.  I guess I have been through this before and will go through it many more times throughout my life.  It is about assessing my values and determining whether I am living according to those values.  If I am, then great.  I deserve a pat on the back.  If I'm not, then I have some serious thinking to do and then I need to make some changes in my life.

It is my ultimate goal to live a simple life that is as self-sustaining as I can make it.  That is so hard sometimes, especially when I am stressed and not just going with the flow.  The past year has been very stressful for me and I am taking a few months to come down from it.  When a person is stressed over literally providing the basic necessities of life, often those high ideals and values fall to the wayside.  I am ready to take them back up and walk proudly with them.

I have committed to not buying a car for the entire calendar year.  I may never buy one again, who knows (at least not until they make a battery powered one that is affordable).  I'll take it a year at a time and enjoy living without one.  And whenever I see the price of gas, I am truly grateful for my bike, Blue Betty :-)  I also want to physically thrive and see what this body can do, where I can take it.  I am excited about the possibilities that await me.
 
What other ways am I trying to live according to my values?  I have taken a plot at our community garden and will also garden in flower boxes.  I think I might even set up a little greenhouse on my back deck next winter.  Otherwise I will try to buy locally whenever possible and support the local farmer and the local vendors and business people.  I am also considering go vegan again and will commit to a minimum of 50% living foods in my diet.  I will dry my clothes outside on my deck.  I will bike and walk wherever possible and use public transportation when I need it.  I do and will continue to buy clothes second hand.  I will make an effort to use as little electricity as possible.  I will support ethical companies and avoid those whose practices go against my values.  Finally, I will strive to pass these values onto my children.

Of course, many of these things I have been doing for many months and even years now, but I find myself growing lazy recently.  It is time for me to wake up and take charge again to craft the life I want to live.  Here's to a life of value and a life filled with passion and love!

Find your passion.  Love your passion.  Live your passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment