Monday 16 May 2011

Self-sufficiency in an Unpredictable World

Now that life is settling down and I am not in deep concern for our immediate basic needs of shelter, food, and clothing I am able to turn my thoughts back to where they once were -- concerns for our basic needs for the long term.  We all know that the environment is getting worse by the day and there are a lot of things to consider.  Gas prices are rocketing up, up, and up and since so many things in the food industry (two words that should never have been put together) depend upon fossil fuels, the cost of food is going up, up, and up.  Add to this the declining ability to grow food as soil erosion and erratic weather (due to global warming) wreak havoc around the world.  The question is, where does that leave us?

Let's face it.  Humans are complacent.  We don't tend to take action until we are pushed into it, when choice is no longer an option.  I don't want to take that stance when it comes to our future stability.  My dream for the past few years has been to become as self-sufficient as possible when it comes to food, shelter, and clothing and whatever we can't provide for ourselves we rely on local farmers for the rest.  I am now refocusing on this goal.

I rent my home right now, which does not leave me the option of having a yard to work with.  So for food growing I am relying on container gardening on my back deck and a community garden plot across the street from our home.  Between these and farmers markets I hope to amass a large amount of food for winter (stored by canning, dehydrating, and freezing) and I also hope to take us to the level of being able to survive on what we and the local farmers produce.

My 4-5 year plan is to buy a house with a big yard.  Then I will continue my food growing, but I will add in chickens (we can have them where I live, although the regulations are a bit strict) and bee hives.  This will provide us with honey and eggs without having to rely on anyone else.  I will have all the herbs I need planted in a perennial garden and will grow our veggies annually.  I will still rely on local farmers for grains, milk, various other types of food, and wool so that I can spin my own yarn for knitting socks, mittens, hats, scarves, sweaters, and anything else we need.  There is nothing better than hand knit wool mittens for keeping hands toasty in the winter and socks for the feet :-)  Bees wax will be used to make our own candles and if our hives don't produce enough, then I will go to a local apiary.  If I can manage to afford it, I will also go off the grid with solar panels so we don't have to rely on the hydro company and their rising prices.

Throughout all of this I will be learning about seed saving and food preservation.  I am also hopefully going to be joining a local cow share, which will give us fresh raw milk with which I will make yogurt, cheese, and ice cream.  We are vegetarian and I was once mostly vegan, but I am looking at healthy self-sustainable options and quite frankly buying almond milk and margarine isn't very self-sustainable.  I also believe, through much research, that if the dairy and eggs come from the right sources, animals that are left to live a natural life and can graze and eat the way nature intended, that they are high in nutrition and healthy.  The alternatives, however vegan they may be, are also more highly processed and refined and not whole foods.

This is my goal.  It is a lofty one and will take a few years to bring to fruition, but I truly believe that one day we will be incredibly thankful for the self-sufficiency we have obtained, the day when food becomes scarce and what is available is so expensive that it is hard to buy enough to feed a family.  I will also be teaching my children how to do all of these things every step of the way because I feel their lives may depend on these skills when they grow up.  While these may not be the most positive thoughts, I certainly hold out hope for the future.  However, I also have the common sense to know that the way things are going, it is wise to be prepared.  Plus, I simply love this homesteading lifestyle :-)  I find it so satisfying to eat food that we have produced ourselves and I can't wait to take our self-sufficient lifestyle to the next level.

Until next time,
Karen

Find your passion.  Love your passion.  Live your passion.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Karen!

    I love the idea of self-sufficiency. I have a passion for home organic gardening, but am a long way from self-sufficient. I'd definitely like to expand the scale my home gardening over time.

    It sounds like you have a logical plan. May not happen overnight, but it doesn't have to. You can get there if you keep plugging away at it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete